In a world that often feels fast-paced and overwhelming, finding solace and moments of calm can be a challenge. Thankfully, there is a natural and centuries-old practice that offers a respite for both the mind and body: aromatherapy. By harnessing the power of essential oils, aromatherapy provides a holistic approach to healing and well-being.
In this blog post, we will dive into the enchanting world of aromatherapy, focusing on two of its most revered essential oils: therapeutic grade frankincense oil, and lavender essential oil. Lavender, with its delicate floral aroma, and frankincense, with its rich and woody scent, have long been celebrated for their therapeutic properties and ability to promote relaxation, balance, and rejuvenation.
Best DIY Recipes Including Frankincense & Lavender Essential Oil
Recipe#1: Relaxing Bath Soak:
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- ½ cup baking soda
- 10 drops of pure lavender essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- In a bowl, combine the Epsom salt and baking soda.
- Add the lavender and frankincense essential oils to the mixture and stir well to ensure they are evenly distributed.
- Store the bath soak in an airtight jar or container.
- When ready to use, add ½ cup of the mixture to your warm bathwater and soak for 20-30 minutes, allowing the soothing scents to relax your body and mind.
Recipe#2: Rejuvenating Facial Serum:
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil (optional)
- In a small glass bottle or container, combine the jojoba oil, lavender essential oil, frankincense essential oil, and geranium essential oil (if using).
- Gently shake or stir the mixture to ensure the oils are well-blended.
- After cleansing your face, apply a few drops of the serum to your fingertips and gently massage it onto your face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
- Allow the serum to absorb into your skin before applying moisturizer. Use it daily to promote a healthy and youthful complexion.
Recipe#3: Calming Pillow Mist:
- ½ cup distilled water
- 2 tablespoons witch hazel or vodka
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- In a spray bottle, combine the distilled water and witch hazel or vodka.
- Add the lavender and frankincense essential oils to the mixture and shake well to blend.
- Before going to bed, lightly spritz your pillow and bedding with the mist, allowing the calming scents to create a serene environment for a good night’s sleep.
These DIY recipes are just the beginning of the endless possibilities that arise when you combine the therapeutic benefits of frankincense and lavender essential oils with your creativity. From body scrubs to room sprays, the possibilities are vast. Experiment, customize, and let the captivating scents and healing properties of these essential oils enhance your well-being in unique and delightful ways.
Benefits of Frankincense & Lavender Oil For Face
- Anti-Aging Properties: Both frankincense and lavender oils possess potent anti-aging properties that help combat the signs of aging and promote a youthful complexion. Frankincense essential oil is known for its ability to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots. Lavender essential oil, on the other hand, aids in cell regeneration, promoting smoother and healthier-looking skin.
- Skin Nourishment: These oils are rich in nutrients and antioxidants that nourish and revitalize the skin. Frankincense oil helps improve skin tone and elasticity, while lavender oil soothes and moisturizes dry or irritated skin. Together, they create a balanced and nourishing combination, leaving your skin supple and radiant.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Lavender and frankincense oils possess anti-inflammatory properties that can help calm and soothe irritated or inflamed skin. Lavender oil is particularly effective in reducing redness and relieving skin conditions like acne, eczema, and rosacea. Frankincense oil aids in reducing inflammation, which can contribute to a clearer complexion.
- Skin Healing: The combined benefits of frankincense and lavender oils make them excellent for promoting skin healing. Lavender oil is known for its wound-healing properties, reducing the appearance of scars and promoting faster recovery. Frankincense oil also helps to support healthy skin cell turnover, aiding in the healing process and minimizing the appearance of blemishes and imperfections.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: While not directly related to the skin, both frankincense and lavender oils offer aromatherapeutic benefits that can have a positive impact on your overall well-being. Lavender oil is widely recognized for its calming and relaxation properties, reducing stress and anxiety. Frankincense oil promotes a sense of grounding and balance, helping to alleviate tension and promote a peaceful state of mind.
When combined, frankincense and lavender oils create a potent blend that addresses various skin concerns while providing a soothing and rejuvenating experience. From reducing signs of aging to promoting skin healing and relaxation, these oils work in harmony to enhance the overall health and appearance of your skin. Incorporating them into your skincare routine can be a transformative step towards achieving a radiant and youthful complexion.
Safety Precautions To Take
While frankincense and lavender essential oils offer numerous benefits, it’s essential to prioritize safety when using them. Here are some important precautions to keep in mind:
- Dilution: Essential oils are highly concentrated and should be diluted before applying them to the skin. Dilute essential oils in a carrier oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil, at the recommended dilution ratio. Generally, a 1-2% dilution is appropriate for facial application, meaning 1-2 drops of essential oil per teaspoon of carrier oil.
- Patch Test: Perform a patch test before applying any essential oil to your face. Apply a small diluted amount of the oil to a small area of skin, like the inner forearm, and wait for 24 hours. If you experience any adverse reactions such as redness, itching, or irritation, avoid using the oil on your face.
- Sensitivity: Some individuals may be more sensitive or allergic to certain essential oils. If you have known allergies or sensitive skin, exercise caution when using new essential oils and consult with a dermatologist or aromatherapist.
- Avoid Contact with Eyes: Essential oils should not come into direct contact with your eyes. If accidental contact occurs, immediately flush your eyes with clean water and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Sun Sensitivity: Certain essential oils, including citrus oils and some phototoxic oils, can increase your skin’s sensitivity to sunlight. However, frankincense and lavender oils are generally considered safe in this regard. Nonetheless, it’s always advisable to use sunscreen and limit sun exposure after applying any essential oil to your face.
- Quality and Purity: Choose high-quality, pure essential oils from reputable sources. Look for oils that are labeled as “pure,” “therapeutic grade,” or “100% essential oil” and have undergone third-party testing for quality assurance.
- Pregnancy and Medical Conditions: If you are pregnant, nursing, or have any underlying medical conditions, consult with your healthcare provider before using essential oils, including frankincense and lavender.
- Storage: Store essential oils in dark, glass bottles in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat. Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
By following these safety precautions, you can enjoy the benefits of frankincense and lavender essential oils while minimizing the risk of adverse reactions or sensitivities. Always listen to your body and discontinue use if you experience any discomfort or adverse effects.
In conclusion, frankincense and lavender essential oils offer a plethora of benefits for your face and overall well-being. Their anti-aging properties, skin nourishment, anti-inflammatory effects, healing capabilities, and relaxation benefits make them valuable additions to your skincare routine. However, it is crucial to prioritize safety by diluting the oils, performing patch tests, and being mindful of sensitivities and potential interactions. High-quality oils and proper storage also play a role in ensuring their efficacy. By incorporating frankincense and lavender oils responsibly, you can harness their remarkable qualities and create a harmonious balance between natural healing and self-care for your face.